grb1to2.pl - grib1 to grib2 converter
grb1to2.pl does not work with wgrib2 v2.0.0. Please use wgrib2 v1.9.9 or v2.0.1+.
Grb1to2.pl converts grib1 files to grib2. This perl script uses wgrib, wgrib2 and a few minor
programs that are included with the wgrib2 package (gmerge, smallest_grib2). Here are some
of the advantages of grb1to2.pl,
- Easier than some other solutions to compile.
Many repositories include wgrib2 executables
wgrib, gmerge and smallest_grib2 are very easy to compile C programs
- More fields converted than some other solutions. Easy to modify code for new fields.
- Does c0 packing, the smallest of 3 different complex packings
- Complex packing algorithms produce fast-to-read grib2 files
which are comparable to jpeg2000 packing.
- Fast packing option (-fast, optimized for 4-core CPUs)
- Ensemble metadata are not supported (grib1 ensemble metadata are locally defined)
- POSIX2 required, no Windows support
- limited to lat-lon, polar stereographic, Lambert conformal, Mercator, and Gaussian grids
- other grids can be handled if the appropriate grib2 template is supplied.
- Doesn't convert from grib2 to grib1.
- Quits when finds a problem grid. You need to alter perl script to handle grid before continuing.
- only simple scan mode options are handled, latlon: we:sn and we:ns, others: we:sn (needs to fixed)
- wgrib2 with IPOLATES enabled (-new_grid option)
- gmerge and smallest_grib2, only needed by -fast and -packing c0 (default), supplied in aux_progs directory of wgrib2
- POSIX2 environment
Grb1to2.pl is based on code that was written in 12/2009 at CPC and versions
of the code are being used at CPC. Variants of the code were written for (1) speed,
(2) large files, (3) ease of updating and/or (4) potential operational usage.
The latest version (4/2014) had a name change (grib1to2 had been taken),
large file support was dropped (not needed with a 64-bit OS) and most importantly
installion was made easier by eliminating the need for cnvgrib. This
version retains radius of the earth from the grib1 file unlike the previous
How it works
grb1to2.gs works by
- interpolating the generic template file to the same grid as the grib1 file to make the grib2 template
- adding metadata (center, subcenter, process, shape of earth) to the template
- converting grib1 file to binary
- making a simple inventory of grib1 file (inv1)
- making a long inventory of grib1 file (inv2)
- grib1to2_metadata.pl combines inv1 and inv2 to make a metadata file (wgrib2 inv + extra fields)
- wgrib2 converts binary data + metadata + template into a grib2 file
grb1to2.pl [list of options] INPUT_GRIB1_FILE
-fast converts the file faster by running 3 streams of processing
harder to debug
-packing [c0|c1|c2|c3|j|s] set packing format for grib2 files
s = simple packing
j = jpeg2000 packing
c1 = complex packing of values
c2 = complex packing of increments
c3 = complex packing of increments of increments
c0 = best packing of c1, c2 and c3 (packing for each field is independent)
-ncep_uv U and V are saved to the same grib message (typical of NCEP operations)
-o OUTPUT_GRIB2_FILE output file, default is INPUT_GRIB1_FILE.grb2
-grid_template filename location of specific grib2 file (correct grid and metadata)
default for for grb1to2.pl to create the grid_template file
-gmerge filename set location of gmerge executable
-smallest_grib2 filename set location of smallest_grib2 executable
-wgrib filename set location of wgrib
-wgrib2 filename set location of wgrib2
-template filename set location of sample grib2 file
Note: if grb1to2.pl has been configured, the configuration options should have the
appropriate default values. To see the default values, type grb1to2.pl.
The basic installation consists of wgrib, wgrib2+aux_progs and 3 new files. (See)
Wgrib2 needs to be compiled with the IPOLATES option. (See wgrib2 documentation.)
If you want change the default locations of these files, you
have to modify grb1to2.pl. This is the section to customized the stock version.
- $HOME/bin/gmerge (included with wgrib2), see grib2/aux_progs of the wgrib2 compilation directory
- $HOME/bin/small_grib2 (included with wgrib2), see grib2/aux_progs of the wgrib2 compilation directory
# This section needs to be customized
# end of customization
You can also modify global_template.g2 to add site
5/2014: v1.1 fixed Mercator conversion, dx, dy now in m instead of km
Comments: Wesley.Ebisuzaki@noaa.gov, updated 5/12/2014, 11/04/2014